Effective: September 10, 1998
Updated: June 1, 2016
Approved By: Narvel G. Weese, Jr., Vice President
Purpose and Scope
- The purpose of this policy is to establish a policy regulating solicitation on the campuses of West Virginia University.
- This policy applies to all University employees, students, and visitors, including those on the regional campuses.
- No solicitation or advertising shall be allowed on the campuses of West Virginia University without a permit. The following conditions must be fulfilled for on-campus organizations and off-campus organizations to solicit and advertise on the campuses of West Virginia University.
- On-Campus Organizations: Must apply for and be granted a solicitation permit by Student Services to solicit on campus; Exempt from obtaining an advertising permit when the advertising pertains to University business or activities; and Sponsoring organization must be clearly identified.
- Off-campus Organizations: Must apply for and be granted a solicitation permit by Student Services to solicit on campus; Must apply for and be granted an advertising permit by Student Services to advertise on campus; and Must be sponsored by an on-campus organization in order to solicit on campus.
- Vendors may obtain information from the Purchasing Department.
- Individuals or organizations wishing to solicit funds from alumni, parents, and friends of the University must obtain permission from the Office of Institutional Advancement.
- Procedure development rests with the appropriate issuing unit and enforced by the University Police Department.
Responsibility for Implementation
- The responsibility for implementation of this policy rests with faculty, staff, students, and all individuals associated with the University. The University Police Department is available to answer questions or provide additional information regarding enforcement of this policy at 293-2677.
Responsibility for Interpretation
- The responsibility for interpretation of this policy rests with the Chief of Police at West Virginia University.