After the successful completion of all phases of the Information Security Strategy project, a new information security program and organization will be developed for West Virginia University.
As WVU prepares for a major modernization initiative, it is an opportune time to reevaluate the information security strategy and roadmap. The objective is to manage the institution’s risk by complying with regulatory requirements and taking a risk-based approach to defending, detecting and responding to threats.
Phase 1: Assessment
Conduct a current state assessment to understand current strengths and gaps across organizational capabilities and governance, technology (including security controls and architecture), funding and administration.
Phase 2: Strategy
Design the future state of the information security program and develop a strategy that guides the University to that future state.
Phase 3: Create a Roadmap
Create a prioritized, multi-year roadmap to achieve the desired future state.
Phase 4: Design
Complete an organizational review and design an information security organization to support the future state program.
Technical Program Manager, Strategic Initiatives
- John Lympany, Director of Information Technology, John Chambers College of Business and Economics
- Farhan Ahmed, Assistant Vice President and Chief Technology Officer, West Virginia United Health Services
- James Bardes, Assistant Professor, WVU School of Medicine
Rosemary Casteel, Director of Research Integrity and Compliance
Toni Christian, Director of Benefits Strategy
Kim Foley, Director, Payroll and Employee Processing Services
Nathan Garver-Daniels, Research Corp. Employee for Research Computing
Lydia Greaser, Director of Information Security, Health Sciences Information
Chris Griffin, Assistant Professor, CEMR Mechanical and Aerospace
- Michael Hu, Assistant Professor, WVU School of Medicine
Wade Huebsch, Professor, CEMR Mechanical and Aerospace
David Kosslow, Assistant Vice President for Finance Operations
Brent McCusker, Chairperson for Geology and Geography
Tom Moran, Director of Information Technology for the College of Arts
Tareva Palmer, Chief Information Security Officer, West Virginia United
Laurie Pollock, Assistant Director and ITS Business Analyst
- Rick Pritt, Professional Technologist, CEMR Mineral Sciences
Chris Ramezan, Assistant Professor, John Chambers College of Business
- James Simpkins, Professor, WVU School of Medicine
- Mike Spooner, Associate General Counsel, Office of General Counsel
- Sarah Seime, Director of Employee Relations
Matthew Valenti, Professor, CEMR Computer Science and Electrical
Early April 2022
April - May 2022
Identify gaps between current/desired states and design future state.
May - June 2022
Review and refine future state roadmap with leadership and key stakeholders.
Learn more about this project by reviewing frequently asked questions.Information Security Strategy FAQs
- April 1, 2022 — Hold formal project kickoff meeting with project sponsors, program and project leads, consultant leads and design team members.